Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Lock to My Heart Opened by One Thousand Locked Grooves

Several records to review. Hidden, the newest release by These New Puritans, proves that the retrospective wink to classic post-punk isn't always a bad idea, unlike earlier acts such as Interpol, who are still yet to write two distinctly unique songs. The band's brand of epic electronic pop grandeur continues to inventively improve with their second record for the Domino label, with their signature use of electronic tribal beats reminiscent of the chase scene of a cop show topped with quirky orchestra synths and melodramatic subject matter. Closest and most pleasing thing to Robot Ate Me, whom we all rightfully adore (R.I.P. 5RC).


So I went by Hospital Productions the other day because I was getting some tailoring done in the Lower East Side and needed an excuse to buy records, and the nearby location of the shop in addition to the nearby occurrence of my birthday seemed a perfect combination of justification (writes down for straight-edge band name idea). It was at Hospital that I began talking to Anthony about RRRecords, a label that I haven't spoken about on the blog before, and it is just that I do so. Based out of Massachusetts, where you assume there is no noise scene, RRRecords resides, operated by founding father, Ron, who has probably the most elaborate and extensive library of noise known to man. I have yet to visit this palace of avant archives, but it's at least on my bucket list. His label is responsible for a lot of NY bands, such as the low-fi bliss of Can't, and great noise compilations such as my special treasure find at Hospital that day. RRR-1000 consists of 20 artists (Aaron Dilloway, Thomas Dimuzio, Kevin Drumm, more) , each assigned to 50 grooves of the LP. Okay. But here's why this is so fucking cool. The vinyl disc is mastered in 1000 locked grooves, 500 per side, meaning wherever you drop the needle, a fixed loop begins to play endlessly. At no time will you probably ever hear the same noise record or remember what and/or where on the disc you heard something else, for that matter. It's such a playful experience and an endlessly fun interaction with the album. I am in love and am thus cutting this post short so I can go back to experimenting with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment